Drought restrictions - how is the water in my area affected?

In Hampshire and on the Isle of Wight, much of the water we supply for our customers comes from local rivers. If the river levels drop, there’s less water to go around – so we have to introduce drought restrictions, known as a Temporary Use Ban (TUB).


The current situation in Hampshire

We’re asking you to reduce your water use because we need to urgently reduce the demand on the River Test and River Itchen, which is where some of your fresh water supply comes from.

For the past eight months we’ve had very little rain – way below average. In fact, we’re experiencing one of the driest years on record (for the past 131 years). River flows are now approximately 25% lower than they should be at this time of year, so we're asking you to limit your use to reduce the risk of further restrictions and disruption to water supplies, but more importantly to protect our local rivers.


We've introduced a temporary use ban in your area

We've introduced a Temporary Use Ban from 5 August 2022 in Hampshire and on the Isle of Wight for everyone who has their water supplied by us. At the same time, we have applied to the Environment Agency for a Drought Permit on the River Test – a vital source of fresh water for South Hampshire – to allow us to continue to take water if levels continue to drop. You can find more information about our application on our Hampshire Drought Permit page. A map showing all areas affected by the TUB can be found below.



You’ve probably heard of a Temporary Use Ban (TUB), or a hosepipe ban before, even though you may not have experienced them. In simple terms, it means we all have a responsibility to save water and you must not use water for anything covered under the Temporary Use Ban. This includes the following activities:

  • Watering a garden or allotment using a hosepipe  
  • Cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe 
  • Watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe 
  • Cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe  
  • Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool 
  • Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use 
  • Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe 
  • Filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain 
  • Cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe;  
  • Cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe 
  • Cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe.  


Find out more about TUBs, and the impact this might have on you by clicking on each phase below.

More detailed restrictions on the TUB, including any exemptions that may be applicable for some customers, can be found on our Hampshire drought page.


Have any questions?

See our frequently asked questions page